Jully Black

Venez discuter de tout ce qui touche l'émission Canadian Idol!
felix
Immortel du Domaine

Message par felix »

Citation :
Soul diva Jully poised to debut as a 'Canadian Idol' coach

03 June 2008

She has enjoyed a 12-year music career and has just returned home from a sell-out tour, and now singer Jully Black is preparing to offer her expertise to the hopeful musicians on Canadian Idol.

Having just returned home from a sell-out tour, songstress Jully Black - pictured performing at this year's Juno Awards - is preparing to offer her expertise to Canadian Idol hopefuls when the sixth season premieres on June 3
Photo: © Getty Images

The Toronto-born R&B star will make her debut this Tuesday night as the latest in-house mentor on the sixth season of the popular reality show.

Unlike famed American Idol judge Simon Cowell - known for his blunt criticism of contestants - 30-year-old Jully is determined to be a kindly instructor. "I look at it as just being a friend to my peers," she says.

She's aware that while hopefuls will only be seen by the TV audience for around 10 weeks, many have spent years trying to make it in the music industry.

"There are so many paths to the same destination," says the singer, whose latest album Revival won best R&B/soul recording at this year's Junos. "Some of these people have been on the road their whole lives, or played karaoke and open mic in their small town."

She wants to be there to offer support to the contestants. "I just have to give them love. I'm a big hugger, it's all about the hugs."

source:
http://www.hellomagazine.ca/news/200806 ... ck/idol/1/

JOYEUX NOEL ET BONNE ANNÉE 2009!!!!
felix
Immortel du Domaine

Message par felix »

Citation :n tutoring a tame Idol crew

'Canadian Idol' debuts tonight, with R&B star Jully Black as in-house mentor. Critics predict the show's ratings will tumble this season.

This year's crop of crooning contenders is heavy on songwriters, musicians, low on divas

Jun 03, 2008 04:30 AM
Rob Salem

Ratings be damned. "I don't even check my chart numbers," confesses singer Jully Black on the eve of her debut as in-house "mentor" on the sixth season of Canadian Idol (tonight at 9 on CTV).

If she was concerned with such things, she might have thought twice about the burden she now bears by association – with even unassailable American Idol gradually losing its audience, Canadian Idol is predictably in even more dire straits.

"I'm not there to save the show," Black insists. "Whatever's going on with the show is not my business. For me, it's all about the human interest."

The 30-year-old, 12-year industry veteran, just off her own sold-out headline tour, also rejects the notion that her Idol assignment essentially entails helping hone and polish performers who will become her future competition.

"I don't see it as competition," she says. "I look at it as just being a friend to my peers. I mean, what is competition? I am my own competition.

"Now, if they ever have an R&B Idol, that's a whole other thing ..."

She's been there, she says. She more than understands. "I empathize with them, man. I mean, being judged, over and over again ... I'm criticized in a whole other way, just getting a showcase or getting radio to play my songs. There is no difference to me.

"Although these people get to see who's judging them. I don't get to see the people who are judging me."

Tonight's debut episode culls the best and/or most memorable of the auditions in Toronto, Edmonton and Calgary.

Already, says Black, a trend has emerged, with a predominance of singing musicians and singer/songwriters – though that, she allows, really started last season, and in fact has always been a dominant force in Canadian popular music.

"There are many paths to the same destination," Black allows. "The audience only sees 10 or 12 weeks, but some of these people have been on the road their whole lives, or played every karaoke and open mic in their small town, and this is like their one last shot."

If this year's contender crop is lacking anything, it's any real outrageous behaviour. "There are some incredible human stories here," she assures, "A cancer survivor ... you name it. But so far, no real character."

And therefore, so far, no real need for a mentor's tough love.

"I wish I had someone to give me tough love," muses Black. "I kind of had to freefall with my music.

"But I don't really have to give them tough love. I just have to give them love."

Which sounds like it involves a lot of hugging.

"Oh yeah," laughs Black. "I'm a big hugger. It's all about the hugs."

You Know You Can't Sing ... So You Think You Can Dance? Most of us can't do either particularly well. Those who can do both belong in another competition entirely.

But CTV has the lock on the warblers and the hoofers (though that sounds more like the Discovery Channel, doesn't it?). Even as Canadian Idol kicks off its sixth season tonight, the network is in the final stages of prepping its inaugural edition of So You Think You Can Dance Canada.

There's been a change of date for the Toronto auditions – the last stop on the five-city cross-country talent hunt – to this Sunday, June 8. The lineup begins at 6 a.m. (dancers being such notorious early risers), with the actual registration starting at 9. The venue's the same, the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, John Bassett Theatre, 255 Front St. W.

source:
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/435736

felix
Immortel du Domaine

Message par felix »

Répondre

Revenir à « CANADIAN IDOL »